Where To Find Gemstones In Western Australia?
Have you ever dreamed of mining for gems in the Australian outback? Searching for rubies, sapphires and diamonds amongst rugged mountain ranges and wild sweeping deserts? Western Australia is home to some of the world’s most unusual precious stone deposits, so if gemstones are your passion then look no further.
This guide shares where to find gemstones in Western Australia. Gain important insights to make informed decisions for successful gemstone hunting. There are many undiscovered diamond fields and unique gold reserves waiting to be found. Get ready to explore!
List of Different Types of Gemstones in Western Australia
- Opal: This iridescent beauty has been mined in Western Australia since 1872, and today it is one of the state’s most famous gems.
- Chrysoprase: Uniquely colored green due to nickel impurities found in quartz, this rare type of chalcedony ranges from light apple green to deep emerald color.
- Amber: These colorful pieces come from ancient tree resin that has been fossilized over thousands of years. It can range in color from yellow to orange and even blue and red.
- Diamonds: Though not as abundant as other gemstones, diamonds are still found in Western Australia and they come in colors such as pink, white, blue-green and black.
- Zircon: This naturally occurring gemstone comes in a range of colors from yellow to green, orange to red and even brown. Its beauty is often enhanced by cutting or polishing it into different shapes.
- Tourmaline: This rare stone is usually found in shades of green but also occurs in hues of blue, pink, purple, brown and more. It is believed to bring good luck and protection.
- Topaz: This hard gemstone comes in many colors including yellow, blue, pink, brown and even colorless. It can be found in WA’s arid regions.
- Garnet: Ranging from pale pink to a deep wine red, this crystal-like stone is made of calcium and iron minerals that give it its variety of hues.
VISIT FOR :- Why Wear Gemstone In Left Hand?
List of Most Popular Gemstone Markets in Western Australia
- Perth Gem Markets: This is one of the most popular and long-standing gemstone markets in Western Australia, offering a wide range of both traditional and modern gemstones from around the world.
- Carnarvon Gem Market: Located on the Gascoyne River in coastal Carnarvon, this market is the ultimate destination for all kinds of gems including agates, jasper and rare opals from the Outback. The local Aboriginal community often sets up stalls here selling their own creations as well.
- Fitzroy Crossing Gem Market: Situated near Geikie Gorge National Park, this gem market is a great spot for visitors who want to explore the area’s Aboriginal culture. Local vendors sell everything from polished stones and raw gems to handcrafted jewellery.
- Broome Gem Markets: This bustling market sells an array of pearls as well as various gems and minerals. The city’s scenic beaches provide a stunning backdrop to the marketplace stalls making it a perfect place to spend some time browsing for unique finds.
- Esperance Gem Market: This gem market, located by the beautiful Lake Ballard, is a prime spot in Western Australia to discover stunning opals and semi-precious stones.. Visitors can also find plenty of souvenirs and artwork crafted by local artisans.
Top 6 Online Platforms for Gemstone Purchase in Western Australia
Western Australia is known for its vast and varied assortment of precious gemstones. It’s no surprise that many individuals would want to purchase a piece of this beautiful mineral world. Thanks to online shopping, customers can purchase their favorite gems from anywhere in the world, including Western Australia.
Below is a list of the top 6 best online platforms for purchasing gemstones in Western Australia:-
- Gem Finders – This site offers an extensive selection of gems from around the world, including rare stones from Western Australia. Customers can find everything from Sapphires to Emeralds at reasonable prices with expert advice on every transaction.
- Dream Gems – Located in Perth, Western Australia, this online store is a great destination for customers searching for rare and unique gems. They specialize in providing high-quality gemstones at competitive prices with free shipping on all orders.
- Aus Gems – This site has been providing top quality gemstones to customers in Australia since 2003. Here, you can find an excellent selection of gems from the Kimberley region of Western Australia as well as other areas around the world.
- Gem Bliss – Established by a team of professional geologists, Gem Bliss guarantees the authenticity and top quality of every item they offer. Customers can choose from a wide variety of raw gemstones mined from different locations throughout Western Australia.
- Stone Masters – This online gemstone shop offers a great selection of exquisite and rare gems from all over the world. Customers can purchase opals, diamonds, sapphires, emeralds, and more from Western Australia at competitive prices.
- GemHunter – This site is dedicated to providing customers with high-quality gemstones at reasonable rates. Here you will find an extensive collection of precious gems from across Western Australia.
We hope this list helps you find the perfect gemstone for your needs!
List of Helpful Tips for Buying Gemstones in Western Australia
- Do your research – Before buying gemstones, make sure you understand the type of stone you’re looking for and its characteristics. Make sure that all gemstones have had their authenticity and quality verified by a professional before making a purchase.
- Buy from reputable sources – When buying gemstones in Western Australia, it is important to buy them from trustworthy and reliable sources like certified jewellers or expert lapidaries who are knowledgeable about the market and can provide advice on selecting quality stones.
- Know what you’re paying for – Gemstone prices can vary drastically depending on the origin, size, clarity, colour, cut and carat weight of the stone, so be sure to ask questions and understand what you’re paying for.
- Consider shape – The shape of a gemstone affects the way it reflects light, so carefully consider which cut or shape will best show off its beauty and complement your desired item.
- Ask about treatments – Many gemstones undergo treatments such as heating, dying and oiling in order to improve their appearance. Make sure you know if these treatments have been performed on any stones you are considering buying as they can affect the value of the stone significantly.
- Take care when handling – Gemstones are delicate and sensitive to extreme temperatures and harsh chemicals, so always be careful when handling them to prevent damage or deterioration of the stone.
How can I tell if a gemstone is real in Western Australia?
If you are looking to determine the authenticity of a gemstone in Western Australia, there are a few key factors to consider.
Firstly, examine the hardness and specific gravity of the stone which can be carried out through professional testing. Watch for signs of treatments or enhancements – they can alter the color or clarity of a gem and suggest that it’s not natural.
Finally, take note of any features such as scratches or inclusions on the surface which may help you differentiate between a real and synthetic gemstone. If after examining these elements you are still unsure whether your gemstone is genuine, it is best to seek further professional advice from an experienced appraiser.
VISIT FOR :- When To Wear Gomed Gemstone?
In conclusion, Western Australia is a great place to look for gemstones. It has a rich history of panning and mining operations that have produced some of the finest specimens in the world. Whether you are a hobbyist or professional gem collector, there is plenty to explore in WA.
There are locations to visit around the state such as Pitcher’s Creek, Yuluma Hill, and Argyle diamond mine that offer an upscale panning and digging experience which can bring incredible rewards.
Looking for loose stones or jewelry made from them? You’ll find numerous shops in Perth with excellent selections and quality workmanship! Hopefully this post has given you an overview of where to find some of the tastiest gems in all of Australia. So happy hunting!
Visit for more:- The 15 Best Crystals For Protection, According To Crystal Experts