Where To Find Gemstones In Victoria Australia?
If you’re looking for a truly unique experience, then heading out on a gemstone hunting trip to Victoria Australia is an excellent option. Victoria boasts 400+ mineral occurrences, producing diverse geological activity and stunning landscapes, ideal for gemstone exploration.
Not only can venturing into the wild lead you to some amazing finds, but it also comes with loads of educational benefits! This article shares the knowledge you need for an exhilarating rockhunting journey, from geology to discovering new gems. Start planning now!
List of Different Types of Gemstones in Victoria Australia
Victoria Australia is known for its beautiful gemstones. Here are some different types of gems found in the region:
- Sapphire – Sapphires can come in a wide range of colours, the most common type being blue. It is these deep blue sapphires that are considered the classic sapphire colour and found mostly in Victoria.
- Rubies – Many red rubies are mined from regional areas around Victoria, making this area one of the world’s major sources for rubies. These vibrant red stones add a beautiful sparkle to any piece of jewellery.
- Emeralds – While not as abundant or widespread as other gemstones, emeralds can still be found in Victoria. These emeralds have a distinct green colour that stands out among other stones.
- Tigers Eye – This golden-brown stone has long been used for its mystical properties and is said to provide protection and strength to the wearer. It can be found in some parts of Victoria, particularly around Ballarat.
- Topaz – Found in clear forms or with a variety of tones, topaz can enhance any jewellery piece. Most of these gemstones are mined near Beechworth, which is northeast from Melbourne.
- Tourmaline – This colourful stone comes in many varieties and is often used as an alternative to the more expensive sapphire and ruby gems. Many tourmalines are found near Bendigo.
- Opal – Victoria is well known for its opals, particularly in the White Cliffs area of central Australia. This gemstone can come in a variety of forms and colours depending on where it was mined from.
List of Most Popular Gemstone Markets in Victoria Australia
- Great Ocean Road Gems: Located in Apollo Bay, this long-running business specializes in fine Victorian Sapphires and a variety of other gemstones from the region. They also offer custom cutting services for any gems you purchase.
- Gemworld International: This gemstone marketplace offers an expansive selection of both Australian and international gemstones, including sapphires, opals, emeralds and diamonds. Their showroom is located in Melbourne CBD and they deliver Australia wide.
- Craft Jewellery & Antiques: Located in Bendigo, this shop has been operating since 1859 and specializes in antique jewellery with a selection of semi-precious stones. They also have their own online store where you can buy and sell items.
- Aussie Opals Direct: This business provides a wide range of Australian opals, from the classical black opal to Boulder Opal loose stones and rare pieces of jewellery. They are based in Melbourne but they ship all over the world.
- White Gold Jewellers: Located in Ballarat, this business has been operating since 1990 specializing in custom-made designs with precious gemstones sourced from local mines. Their showroom is open 7 days a week and they offer free worldwide shipping on all purchases.
Top 6 Best Online Platforms for Gemstone Purchase in Victoria Australia
- Victoria Gemstones: Located in Melbourne, Victoria Gemstones has long been a trusted source for high-quality gemstone purchases. They have a wide selection of both natural and lab-created gems as well as jewelry pieces set with them.
- VaVaVoom Jewels: Based out of Clayton South, VaVaVoom Jewels offers fine quality loose stones that are perfect for customizing your own unique piece of jewelry. They are known for having excellent customer service and offer free shipping on all orders over $50 AUD.
- Gems Plus: This online store focuses specifically on Australian opals and sapphires from the Northern Territory region and beyond. They also carry a variety of other gems including tourmalines, emeralds, and aquamarines.
- Blue Mountain Gems: This website specializes in “Untreated Australian Sapphires” with a selection of unique gems from the Boulder Opal Mines in Central Queensland as well as other regions around Australia. They offer an excellent variety to choose from as well as free shipping on orders over $100 AUD.
- The Gem Store: Based out of Caulfield South, The Gem Store offers a wide range of gemstones and jewelry pieces set with them at competitive prices. They also specialize in loose stones for customizing your own design and have an easy online ordering process.
- Love Rocks Australia: Located near Melbourne CBD, Love Rocks Australia offers a selection of precious and semi-precious gemstones sourced from around the world. They have an extensive range of beautiful stones, including opals, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds as well as a variety of jewelry pieces set with them.
List of Helpful Tips for Buying Gemstones in Victoria Australia
- Familiarize yourself with the different types of gemstones available in Victoria Australia. Gemstones can range from precious gems such as diamonds, rubies, and sapphires to semi-precious stones like tourmaline, amethyst, and garnet. Knowing what type of stone you are looking for will help narrow down your search.
- Research your prospective seller before making a purchase. It is important to find a reputable seller who carries certified gemstones that have been ethically sourced and are conflict free.
- Learn how to identify quality in a gemstone before purchasing it. Factors such as color, clarity, cut, carat weight, symmetry and polish all contribute to the overall quality of a gemstone.
- Make sure you are aware of the grading system for gemstones and that any stones you purchase have been graded by an accredited laboratory.
- Have your gemstone appraised before making a final purchase. An appraisal will give you an accurate assessment of the value of the stone, ensuring that you don’t overpay or fall victim to false advertising.
- Consider insuring your gemstone purchase against theft and damage so that you can be reimbursed in the event something happens to it.
- Ask questions about a prospective seller’s return policy and warranty information before committing to a purchase. Being able to return or exchange an item or get it repaired can be a lifesaver if something isn’t up to your standards.
How can I tell if a gemstone is real in Victoria Australia?
There are several ways to determine if a gemstone is real in Victoria, Australia. Firstly, it’s important to note that there are two distinct types of gems: natural and synthetic. Natural gems are those that have formed naturally, while synthetic stones are man-made reproductions of the same type of stone.
If you suspect a gemstone may be real or synthetic, you can take it to a professional gemologist for evaluation. A professional gemologist has specialized knowledge and equipment to evaluate the authenticity of a stone. They will inspect the stone closely with special tools such as microscopes and refractometers to assess its composition and structure. If your stone passes these tests, then it should be considered genuine.
You can also look for signs of authenticity yourself. Natural gemstones often have characteristics such as inclusions, or tiny “blemishes” inside the stone, that are unique to a particular type of gemstone. In addition, many natural gemstones have irregularities and imperfections on the surface that indicate they were made naturally. Synthetic stones typically lack these characteristics and tend to be more uniform in color, shape, and clarity.
Finally, you can check whether any certifications accompany the stone you’re examining. Many gems come with a certificate or report from a laboratory confirming its authenticity and providing details about its characteristics which can help you determine if it is genuine or not.
Increase your chances of finding gemstones in Victoria, Australia by staying informed about mining regulations in your area. Some places may have restrictions or require special permits. Additionally, brush up on your rock-hunting skills and invest in the proper equipment to find gems that you otherwise may have missed.
With perseverance, time, and patience, you should be able to find a range of gemstones near Victoria, Australia. Some popular gems include tigereye, opalite, jasper agate, and moonstone. Collectors should also consider low-key sites or amateur sapphire mines for an exciting discovery. No need to worry about what you find during your treasure hunt around Victoria, Australia. Adventures and memories alone are worth the journey!
READ MORE:- Where To Find Gemstones In Pa?