Where To Find Gemstones in Pennsylvania?
Gemstones are beautiful, rare, and unique minerals that are prized as jewelry or used in the fields of science and medicine. Those living in Pennsylvania have access to some of the most treasured gems around. With so many potential sites for gemstone exploration scattered throughout the state, it can be hard to know where to look. Discover Pennsylvania’s best mining areas and find precious gems with our insider tips.
List of Different Types of Gemstones in Pennsylvania
- Amethyst: This purple quartz is the official gemstone of Pennsylvania and can be found in all parts of the state.
- Aquamarine: This blue-green variety of beryl can be found along streams that flow through the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania.
- Garnet: Found primarily in western and northern parts of the state, garnets are prized for their deep red color and hardness.
- Moonstone: Commonly referred to as the “Traveler’s Stone,” moonstones have been found throughout Pennsylvania where they were naturally tumbled by running water over them.
- Peridot: A greenish-yellow variety of olivine, peridot is often found in the western region of Pennsylvania.
- Quartz: The most common variety of quartz found in Pennsylvania is smoky quartz, which comes in shades of grey and brown.
List of Most Popular Gemstone Markets in Pennsylvania
- The Gem Bar and Bead Store, Lancaster: With a vast selection of gems, beading supplies, tools, books and more, the Gem Bar and Bead Store is one of the most popular gemstone markets in Pennsylvania. It has been voted “Best Jewelry Shop” by readers of Lancaster County Magazine four years in a row.
- Diamonds & Gems, Pittsburgh: This family-owned jewelry store provides customers with an impressive range of loose diamonds and colored gems from around the world. They also offer custom designs created to suit each individual customer’s needs and desires.
- Newbridge Jewelers LTD., Doylestown: Here shoppers can find everything from precious gemstones to diamond engagement rings. The staff at Newbridge Jewelers is highly knowledgeable and experienced in helping customers pick the perfect piece of jewelry for any occasion.
- Gems on 9th, Philadelphia: Located in the heart of Philadelphia’s historic district, this store offers an array of gems from around the world as well as custom designs crafted by their talented team of jewelers.
- Maxon’s Diamond Merchants, Allentown: This award-winning shop has been providing customers with quality diamonds and gemstones since 1984. Their knowledgeable staff can help customers choose among a variety of colored gems including sapphires, rubies and emeralds.
Top 6 Best Online Platforms for Gemstone Purchase in Pennsylvania
- HSN: HSN is one of the largest online jewelry and gemstone retailers in Pennsylvania, with an extensive selection of loose gemstones, fine jewelry and designer collections.
- Gem Rock Auctions: Gem Rock Auctions is a great place to purchase loose gemstones online in Pennsylvania. From rubies to emeralds, this site has a wide selection of precious or semi-precious stones for sale at competitive prices. They also offer secure payment options and fast delivery times.
- Fire Mountain Gems: Fire Mountain Gems sells both finished pieces of jewelry as well as raw materials such as gemstones. They carry a wide range of different stones and have competitive prices, as well as great customer service options.
- James Allen: James Allen is an online jewelry retailer that sells diamonds, colored gemstones, and fine jewelry. They also provide detailed images of each stone so customers can make sure they are getting exactly what they want before purchasing it.
- GemSelect: Located in Pennsylvania, GemSelect is an online retail store specializing in loose gemstones at wholesale prices. Customers can browse through the selection of over 30,000 certified natural gemstones, including rubies, sapphires and emeralds. The website also offers great customer service and secure payment options.
- Gem Hut: Gem Hut is a gemstone supplier located in Pennsylvania with a wide selection of loose stones, precious or semi-precious jewelry, and custom made pieces.
List of Helpful Tips for Buying Gemstones in Pennsylvania
- Do your research before buying a gemstone in Pennsylvania. Make sure you know the type of gemstone you are looking for and the quality that best fits your needs.
- Visit local dealers or retailers to compare prices, styles, and types of gemstones available in Pennsylvania.
- Get an independent evaluation by a qualified gemologist prior to purchasing any precious stones. This will provide assurance that the stone is genuine and authentic.
- Ask about certification documents such as a GIA report card or other authentication documentation for each stone purchased. Be wary of sellers who cannot provide this information upon request, as they may not be selling legitimate stones.
- Shop around to find the best prices, but be careful of stones that are sold at a significantly discounted rate as they may not be authentic.
- Ask about return policies and guarantees prior to committing to any purchase. Investing in a gemstone is a serious financial commitment, so you want to make sure your money is protected in case of an issue with the stone or if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
- Check for reputable dealers who have been in business for many years and have established their reputations within the industry. This will ensure you receive quality gemstones from trusted sources.
In conclusion, rockhounding in Pennsylvania is an enjoyable and rewarding hobby that can be done anytime of the year. With research and some knowledge of where to look, you can find stunning and unique gemstones and rocks. Geocaching is an engaging and educational outdoor activity for all ages, teaching about geology, natural history, and science. Grab your pickaxe and bucket and start exploring! You never know what treasures await in Pennsylvania’s hills!
Read More:- Where To Find Gemstones In The Us?